Wednesday, June 25, 2008

JOHN FRESHWATER: WHAT'S THE LEDE?

I have been following the John Freshwater case since April, though have not written about it. I am working on a few pieces now. The first will go up tonight or tomorrow. The Mount Vernon News' play-by-play coverage should be helpful to those interested in the details--which are far more complicated than media and bloggers would have us believe. (Go to lower right and click "middle school teacher John Freshwater")

What's the lede?

It's whatever you want it to be.

  • The Bible on the desk
  • Evangelization in the classroom
  • Evolution
  • Branding
  • The Establishment clause
  • The ACLU
  • State incursion into religious expression
  • Small town politics
  • Banishing religion from the classroom
  • Christian dominonism
  • Movement building
  • Church building
  • All of the above
  • Something else

Just watch Geraldo Rivera and Dave Daubenmire step in it on Fox News.

It's difficult to understand what is happening in Mount Vernon, especially since (surprise!) the complexities and emotions of the case are mainly left unreported and unexplored. Since I have been unable to attend any of the Mount Vernon events (rallies, school board meetings) I've been surfing the web for something to put up here that might show us (me included) an idea of the depth of emotion the Freshwater case has engendered up there. I think the video below, shot at the April 16 rally on the public square in Mount Vernon, below does it--especially the final 90 seconds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed the action on Coach's radio show Mon. night so I'm hoping he'll put it on his website so I can see it. I'm very much looking forward to your analysis!

M

Anonymous said...

check out www.mvohio.net a community forum where this is being talked about

Marley Greiner said...

I've obvously gotten behind. I spent Saturday at Pride and some time with the Minutemen. I'll have some pictures up today and then work on commentary on the show. I checked out the MV site. I'm working on some of that stuff myself.